Saturday, January 26, 2008

Reality Bites...

As you read this post, keep in mind that I was watching What Not to Wear when I started writing it. I've almost decided that I can't watch any more reality television. Earlier today when I made this decision, I had swornoff all non-scripted shows. The yearly punishment endured by American Idol hopefuls, potential Brett Michaels girlfriends, and "New York" suitors have completely jaded me toward the reality medium. A common defense for the shows is that participants, who have watched years of these programs themselves, fully expect everything that happens to them in the course of production.

I would counter, however, that even in the most open of situations the majority of reality shows exist in and perpetuate an environment of exploitation that debase the producers, the participants and even the viewers at home. Toward the end of each season people tune into Fox for good singing on American Idol, but this is after viewers ridicule the wannabes for weeks while watching auditions that make better punchlines than lyrics. Reality TV is now the all too common path for celebrities who need to augment their position relative to other, brighter stars and minimum wage workers looking for their 15 seconds of fame. Just Google Scott Baio, Salt N' Pepa, and Celebrity Rehab and see what floats to the top of the list.

Even the freaking Miss America pageant is now a reality show. I'm old enough to remember when that was a national event. Vanessa Williams built an entire career off the infamy from losing the Miss America crown. Tonight if you want to see the newest Miss America you better know where TLC is on your cable or satellite TV lineup. You'll only see the final 15 contestants because the rest were cut by the viewers of TLC's newest reality show called Finding Miss America. That's right, folks. The standard for American womanhood (ah-hem) was chosen by a relative handful of REALITY TV FANS!!! I always thought the pageant was a bit foolish, but oh, how the mighty have fallen.

I wish I had the strength to swear off all reality TV, but there are still a few decent shows (mostly of the contest/game show or personal improvement variety.) I already admitted to liking What Not to Wear, and I usually follow the latest iteration of Survivor. I think the Amazing Race is a great show, even though I've not followed it for the last year or two. Mostly though, I wish I had the discipline to swear them off completely. I've enough problems living my own life without enduring the distraction of everyone eles's edited, publicized and tabloid-covered lives.


Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I love What Not to Wear. I am so getting nominated after I lose a bunch of weight. yes I am.....