Friday, January 18, 2008

You put the items in the watertight zipper...

I know that I let my kids watch more TV than they should. I know that I should make more of an effort to direct them toward activities that nurture the growth of brain cells and stimulate their artistic sensibilities. Even so, we have our own kind of limits for them. We won't let either of them have a TV in their bedroom, and on school days they usually only watch one or two shows that they like.

That said, I couldn't help but find it disturbing when my 4-year-old son quoted verbatim the narration from a commercial for Space Bags (essentially a large plastic storage bag that compresses its contents greatly when you vacuum the air from it.) For some reason this commercial airs quite a bit when the kids watch Power Rangers on Toon Disney. I've barely made my peace with letting watch Power Rangers in the first place (although it will serve as a nice gateway for them into the Sci-Fi shows that I know and love later on,) and now they have to remind me just how much marketing to which they're being subjected while watching these shows. Yikes!

Truthfully, my wife and I both watched a ton of TV when we were kids, probably way, way more than we needed. We turned out OK, and we're careful to talk to the kids about the things they watch so they can start developing their own media filters. Even so, I don't think I'll be buying any Space Bags anytime soon.


Powered by ScribeFire.

2 comments:

Kaleigh said...

I've owned space bags before, actually, and they're pretty cool! I loved vacuuming out all the extra air. The kids thought it was hilarious, too.

I say more video games, less TV. Now the "experts" are telling us that the video games are good for the kids. W00T!

Brad said...

Yeah...Zoe can already kick my ass at Wii bowling.